Friday, October 30, 2015

Another Night in Ausin September 15, 2015

ANOTHER NIGHT ON GUADALUPE WITH OUR FRIENDS
Last Thursday night after we’d put away all the sound equipment at the end of the open mic and settled up with Tom’s Tabooley, Adam and I were standing in the alley by my car talking. Reviewing what a good night it had been. Again. While we were talking a white suv pulled up at the end of the alley – about 50 yards away – and parked there. The people inside the SUV were being raucous and loud and though I wasn’t paying attention I guess I was aware that they had the doors open and were singing. Loudly. And yelling. At some point it seemed like they started yelling at Adam and me. I said, “Do they want us to sing with them?” And even though I don’t think they could’ve possibly heard me from that distance, at that moment it became clear that they were yelling something along the lines of “YEAH! Sing with us!” and that the song they were singing was Drift Away. They were challenging us to sing with them, but I really don’t think they had much faith that we would. I wonder if it’s a universal truth that young people don’t think people older than they are know how to have fun. If it is, Adam and I pushed back at the notion. Without any cue or consultation, both of us just started singing at the same time, loudly, giving it all we had: “Give me the beat boys and free my soul. I want to get lost in your rock and roll. . . . . And drift away.” I know. They were just drunk college kids. Nothing unusual about that a block from Guadaulpe on a Thursday night. But I love it when people sing when they aren’t supposed to. A cappella. On key or not. Just because they’re having too a good a time to simply talk. 
That’s how much fun Adam and I are having hosting the open mic at Tom’s Tabooley. So much fun we burst spontaneously into song at the least encouragement when it’s all over. Last Thursday was particularly fun for a couple of reasons. For one thing, Adam was back after a week away. We were glad to have him and I think it’s safe to say (judging from the pictures he took) he was glad to be home. For another, we had a terrific list of performers – Carlos Rumba, Charles Clark, Greg Engle, Stuart Burns, Gregg Miller, Roger Edmondson, E (Eroch McFrazier), Tracy Weinberg, and Jack McCabe. Tracy and E both debuted great new songs. Tracy’s “She Can Only Fly” was outstanding. For me, it was the highlight of the evening. Because we had time for once, we got Adam to get up and close us out with his classic hit 1600 Miles From Philly (which you can listen to for free at https://kissmyblackass.bandcamp.com/…/sixteen-hundred-miles…). 
We’re back this week. Sign up at 6:30. We’ll start singing at 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment